NANTICOKE 1 was formed from Lisle April 18, 1831. It lies upon the west border, north of the center. The surface consists of an upland broken by a few narrow ravines. The highest summits are from 100 to 300 feet above the Susquehanna, and from 1,200 to 1,400 feet above tide. The town is watered by the two main branches of the Nanticoke and their tributaries. Both these branches flow south, one through the western, and the other through the eastern part. The soil upon the hills is a slaty loam underlaid by hardpan.
The town covers an area of 16,124 ½ acres, of which, in 1865, according to the census of that year, 7,413 ½, or less than one-half was improved. The population in 1870 was 1,058.
During the year ending Sept. 30, 1871, the town contained seven school districts and employed seven teachers. The number of children of school age was 399; the number attending school, 323; the average attendance, 161; the amount expended for school purposes, $1,585; and the value of school houses and sites, $2,310.
LAMBS CORNERS, (p. o.) located on Nanticoke Creek, west of the center of the town, contains two churches, (Baptist and M. E.) one store, a wagon shop, a blacksmith shop and two saw mills, one of which (Washington Johnson's) is quite extensive. It is run by steam, and in connection with it are a grist and planing mill. About 300,000 feet of lumber are annually cut, this being done in the spring of the year. The rest of the time is occupied in planing and finishing. The post office was established here in 1860 and was removed from Nanticoke Springs.
GLEN AUBREY, (p. o.) (formerly known as Councilman Settlement,) located on the east branch of the Nanticoke, near the south line and east of the center, contains two churches, (Christian and M. E.) two stores, three blacksmith shops and one shoe shop. There was formerly a tannery here, but it is burnt down.
NANTICOKE SPRINGS, located on Nanticoke Creek, about one mile south of Lambs Corners and near the south line, derives both its name and importance from the mineral spring located there.
The principal settlements are in the valleys of the streams. They were commenced in 1793 and '4 by John Beachtle, Philip Councilman, 2 James Stoddard and John Ames, who located on the east Nanticoke. Beachtle was from Luzerne county, Penn., and Stoddard, from Connecticut. The former, and afterwards Ames, occupied the farm now owned by Charles H. and James Stoddard. 3 Councilman lived by hunting and trapping until he accumulated a sufficient amount to purchase 300 acres of land.
The first settler on the west Nanticoke was Isaac Lamb, who located on the site of the village of Lamb's Corners, in 1804.
The first birth was that of Betsey Stoddard, in 1794, and the first death, that of Miss Bird, sister of Mrs. Stoddard.
The M. E. Church, at Lamb's Corners, was organized with twenty members, in 1852, in which year their house of worship, which will seat 200 persons, was erected, at a cost of $1,000, which is two-fifths of the present value of Church property. Rev. John M. Grimes was the first pastor; the present one is Rev. J. N. Lee. There are forty members.
The Baptist Church, at Lamb's Corners, was organized with forty members, by Eli Levi Holcomb, in February, 1825, but the church edifice, which will seat 250 persons and was built at a cost of $1,200, was not erected until 1853. Its first pastor was Rev. Granville Gates; the present one is Rev. Geo. W. Bliss. There are forty-five members. The Church property is valued at $3,000.
The Christian Church, at Glen Aubrey, was organized with twelve members, in 1857, by Jonathan, Alison and William Stalker. The first pastor was Rev. Edward Tyler; Rev. James Youmans is the present one. The church edifice, which will seat 150 persons, was erected in 1866, at a cost of $1,800. There are thirty members. The Church property is valued at $2,300.
The M. E. Church, at Glen Aubrey, was organized with thirty members, but when and by whom we are unable to learn. Their church edifice was erected in 1867. It cost $2,500, and will seat 200 persons. It was dedicated in March, 1868, by Rev. B. I. Ives. Rev. Edgar Sibley was the first pastor; Rev. J. N. Lee is the present one. There are from thirty-five to forty members. The Church property is valued at $3,000.